Thursday, December 4, 2014

Sugar, Butter, and Flour

My first paying job was cashier at a local bakery, K Bakery, in my home town.  I was hired to run the front and ring up the customers on their way out; basically to stare at and smell fresh baked goods as they were placed on display.  Temptations galore!  Refraining from snacking on broken cookies, extra frosting, and bread crumbs was the largest challenge.  

The owner, Kim, whom the bakery is named after, specializes in fantastic cakes, while the rest of her staff covers anything from delicious brownies to cupcakes, lemon bars, cookies, pies, or fresh breads.  If the front was slow and the kitchen needed help, I was often allowed to slice, frost, or top (the most exciting part of the job).

During my breaks, I would sneak into the back to conjure up my own creations, make my manager taste them, and have him constructively criticize my work.  Eventually I developed some skills, and my job began to require more work from me in the back.  My boss slowly allowed me to bake more and more.  I started with cinnamon rolls, the simplest recipe, and eventually graduated onto some of the most complex goods, even assisting wedding cakes!


I'm grateful for the knowledge I've gained during this job and the experience it has given me.  If you're ever in need of something sweet, now you know where to come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment