Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Spiritual Transmissions

Recently we've added a new car to the family, which also happened to be on my birthday. Within the first week of driving the car, I noticed the engine light was on. Not understanding that this was anything that needed to be dealt with immediately, under poor example of my father, I continued driving the car for the remainder of the week until I was ready to make the undesirable trek out to some mechanic. Soon after I had decided that it could wait, Caleb, my "older brother," informed me that it absolutely could not wait and that continuing to drive it could result in a serious problem. The next morning I proceeded to take the car into the distant dealership where it was discovered that there had been a recall on the car for the engine fan; but, fortunately, we got everything fixed and the car was fine. However, if I had continued to ignore the warning, something bad would have happened, and if the car would have even been salvageable, the cost would have been significantly more than it was to just have a check up. 

The same happens in our personal lives. We may not always need an overhaul of our spiritual transmissions, just as the car may not have needed serious work at this inspection, but in the long run, taking care of ourselves, making sure we're running smoothly, will yield a greater ability to deal with trials as they arise. 

However, it is also the same if we do not take care of our spiritual transmissions. When life gets out of control there is an unfortunate human habit to feel the need to regain control at all costs. When we lose control over a job, a competition, a family member, or a freedom, we often rebel against what we do have to feel powerful and secure. One consistent thing we as humans rebel against is faith, because it's the only thing we can completely control. No one can tell you what you believe, and no one else can truly know; just like how no one could control whether I took the car in for a check up. Although it may seem obvious that it was the smart and clear choice to take the car in, it was a far drive and a tedious wait, and because I dreaded that experience, I sought out to put off, and essentially rebel, the needed assistance. 

Then, to be told that I was wrong and that I needed to do something I did not want to do, I was not excited about it. Often we try to prove ourselves right in these situations. Unfortunately, most times we go from "making a mistake" into a full-blown rebellion. The person who fails to go to church on a particular Sunday goes from that to saying, "I don't need to go at all."  The married person who violates the marriage vow soon becomes the person announcing to the world, "It's not that big of a deal."  The man who is angry and resentful instead of opening himself to God tries to get the rest of the world stirred up as well. In normal life, there is usually no clear and present danger, like the possible overheating of the car. Normally, when we try to regain control we cannot see our consequences and how our actions will effect ourselves or those around us. This is especially true when rebelling against faith. Because it is the only thing we can grab hold of when everything else is unsteady, we illogically proceed to abandon the gospel because it is our own decision. Foolishly, we wholeheartedly reject what we have to feel power over the only thing left. 

Eventually, we must come to realize that life isn't going to go back to the way it was before the trial. Our purpose here is to accept that life isn't perfect and that we're here to make the best of what we have. We must realize that there is no purpose in fighting everything off because no matter how angry and resentful we make ourselves, it's not going to change the world. We have to understand that the consequences of rebellion of the gospel will never result positively. We must then choose to be happy and choose to do what makes us happy, because that is truly what we have control over. We must ask ourselves, "Do I have have faith in Jesus Christ?" Based on our true and personal answer, we must learn to move forward and be happy for ourselves. We must learn to proceed with what is best for us just as I proceeded with doing what was best for the car by taking it in. 



I have been through some difficult challenges, and there were a lot of times where the gospel could have helped, but because I wanted to feel in control, I chose to rebel against what I knew. However, I came to the realization that while I thought rebelling against the gospel gave me more control, it didn't make me happier or feel more secure. I realized that life isn't going to be the way it was before and that it was now my decision to choose to be happy again and to do what is best for me. I'm still here because I know it's good for me and I'm learning how to move forward.  I have faith that if I include Christ in my life, I will be happier than I would be without him.

No comments:

Post a Comment